Wikia

Breaking Bad Wiki

Status: Deceased?

  • Lydia gets poisoned in "Felina" and will die soon afterwards but technically she doesn't die during the course of the show. Am I the only one that thinks her status shouldn't be "deceased"? Is there a term for "about to die" that could be used here?

      Loading editor
    • Don't start. She's dead, end of story.

        Loading editor
    • The finale takes place in 2011. We can extrapolate that she would have died by now.

        Loading editor
    • If you wanna get pedantic about it, a good 30 cent word to use in this context would be "moribund".

      But, seriously, it's heavily implied that Lydia dies from the ricin (also, the poisoning wasn't a move to gain leverage like the "hitmen" with Eliot and Gretchen), and her eventual fate bears on / is a consequence of the immediate storyline.

      So let's just say she's "dead".

        Loading editor
    • Yes. I think it is safe to say that she is "deceased".

        Loading editor
    • ChomskyDisciple wrote:
      The finale takes place in 2011. We can extrapolate that she would have died by now.

      By that logic every character in for example a "Rome" or "Deadwood" Wiki would be "deceased" from episode 1. :p I don't think that's how a status in a Wiki works.

      But ok, it seems nobody but me is bothered by this.

        Loading editor
    • Her proper status would be "soon to be deceased" but I never saw that one in use. So, "Deseased" is good enough.

      We can question every other status as well. For instance, who guarantees Walt is really dead? Or maybe some of nazis is badly hurt and will also die soon but not dead yet.  :P

        Loading editor
    • I found this on science article on About.com about surviving ricin ingestion with government research sources:

      How Is Ricin Poisoning Detected and Treated?Edit

      Ricin poisoning is not easy to detect, but it is not necessarily fatal, even though it is unlikely medical staff would identify the underlying cause. Treatment addresses the symptoms of ricin poisoning and includes helping the victim breathe and administering intravenous fluids to combat dehydration and low blood pressure. Death usually occurs 36-48 hours after exposure, but if a victim survives approximately 5 days, he has a good chance of recovering. Victims of ricin poisoning typically sustain permanent organ damage.

      So, it's possible she survives, especially since she knows its ricin. There might not be an antidote but I've seen around that there's still some medical procedures that could assist with removing it from the system before permanent damage and death.

      But it's implied death so I don't know how else it'd be handled. Probably safe to say deceased, but it doesn't seem as absolute as the other deaths in the episode.

        Loading editor
    • Legendarychopchop wrote:

      So, it's possible she survives

      Maybe Walt will recover too. We didn't see medical staff confirm his death. Maybe he will end in prison and then escape to kill Lydia. Jesse will be there too and they will escape together.

        Loading editor
    • She's a goner.  You're correct in that there's no antidote.  The best that we can do to treat ricin poisoning is to get it out of the body before it enters cells causing irreversible damage (i.e. getting her stomach pumped, charcoal, etc.) - possible only if done quickly after exposure.  But she's ingested most likely the entire vial which per Vince Gilligan in earlier interviews, containing enough to kill 4-5 people (a whopping dose for 1 person), and too much time had passed between drinking the tea and that phonecall.  If she called 911 after that phone call, at best she'd get supportive therapy in the ICU as she slowly died from multiorgan system failure.

      Some comments on other sites are saying they'd prefer Walt not tell her at all, but I disagree.  Lydia is anxiety prone, and telling her why she's feeling ill is much more cruel than not telling her.  Ignorance would have been bliss in her case. :)

      Props to Ms. Fraser for her character's bug-eyed reaction "Oh my God"!

        Loading editor
    • Nori639 wrote:

      Some comments on other sites are saying they'd prefer Walt not tell her at all, but I disagree.  Lydia is anxiety prone, and telling her why she's feeling ill is much more cruel than not telling her.  Ignorance would have been bliss in her case. :)


      I also noticed that Walt seemed to make sure he was within earshot of Jesse when he told Lydia, perhaps to further drive home the point to Jesse that all the threats to him had been taken care of. Or, it might have just made for a more interesting camera angle and I'm overthinking it.

        Loading editor
    • the hot water of the tea made the ricin inactive?

        Loading editor
    • Mholclajtner wrote:
      Legendarychopchop wrote:

      So, it's possible she survives

      Maybe Walt will recover too. We didn't see medical staff confirm his death. Maybe he will end in prison and then escape to kill Lydia. Jesse will be there too and they will escape together.

      he wasnt blinking much

        Loading editor
    • Max ba wrote:
      the hot water of the tea made the ricin inactive?

      the human body maintains 98.6 degrees Ferenheit, so scratch that possibility

        Loading editor
    • Madrigal-Ehrmantraut wrote:
      Max ba wrote:
      the hot water of the tea made the ricin inactive?
      the human body maintains 98.6 degrees Ferenheit, so scratch that possibility

      Body temp less than half of boiling water,  not relevant

      from s5e16 trivia:

      "Walter's ricin hit on Lydia would not work that way in real life. Ricin, being a protein, would denaturate at once if put in hot or boiling water"

        Loading editor
    • Coronaking wrote:
      Lydia gets poisoned in "Felina" and will die soon afterwards but technically she doesn't die during the course of the show. Am I the only one that thinks her status shouldn't be "deceased"? Is there a term for "about to die" that could be used here?

      yeah.

      that term would be: braindead.


      braindead status.

        Loading editor
    • Max ba wrote:
      Madrigal-Ehrmantraut wrote:
      Max ba wrote:
      the hot water of the tea made the ricin inactive?
      the human body maintains 98.6 degrees Ferenheit, so scratch that possibility
      Body temp less than half of boiling water,  not relevant

      from s5e16 trivia:

      "Walter's ricin hit on Lydia would not work that way in real life. Ricin, being a protein, would denaturate at once if put in hot or boiling water"

      suspension of disbelief: it is theater, not a documentary.

        Loading editor
    • at least is wasn't a ripoff like LOST which totally sucked and resolved nothing.


      what was the smoke monster all about?

      Send the guy who wrote the smoke monster crap to belize.  all those people invested hundreds of hours to be gypped in the end.

        Loading editor
    • Lost wasnt that bad. I was more pissed about them all being in the afterlife the whole time. I don't think they couldve explained the smoke monster any mroe than they did. He was evil incarnate - i saw it as a sort of Cain and Abel story. Cain kills Abel because God loves him more (or in this case their mom loved Abel more). Abel drinks from the river of youth while Cain slides down it and is transformed into evil incarnate by the smoke monsters core. Obviously your never going to get any scientific explanation behind that -

      but there's no mystery behind it. JJ just left some stuff open to interpretation. That's very common in philosophical and psychological fiction. You want the viewer to come to their own conclusion on some aspects. If you watch an anime called 'Serial Experiments Lain' you will have a helluva lot more unanswered questions. In fact you might not even know what the hell is goin on 

        Loading editor
    • Off topic now but I hope you mean Season 6 because they were not dead the whole series.  Also, J.J. left the show after getting it started.  He had nothing to do with the ending or anything passed the intial concept and pilot, if I remember correctly, that would be Damon Lindeloff along with Carlton Cuse from Season 2 on.

        Loading editor
    • Nope. Problem was in J.J. Abrams original end to the prequel. Both Lindeloff and Cuse claimed that they've kept that original end, when it was just end to prequel, instead make their own ending which was more logical thing to do because story overgrow that prequel years ago. They've should drop J.J. Abrams ideas and think of something new, instead ruining the show.

        Loading editor
    • "However, this was before Katzenberg knew where the “Breaking Bad” creative team were taking the storyline, which meant his idea was a non-starter."

        Loading editor
    • Mholclajtner wrote:
      Nope. Problem was in J.J. Abrams original end to the prequel. Both Lindeloff and Cuse claimed that they've kept that original end, when it was just end to prequel, instead make their own ending which was more logical thing to do because story overgrow that prequel years ago. They've should drop J.J. Abrams ideas and think of something new, instead ruining the show.

      The only thing that was said to be known about the ending of Lost was that it ended with Jack's eye closing in the forest where he started according to Fox himself.  Not gonna search out the article cause this is a Breaking Bad page and Lostpedia can answer all this.  It's also been reported that the Jack character was suppose to die in the pilot originally at the end with Kate becoming the leader so there were obviously a lot of ideas flying around at the early parts of making the show...but and answers, explantions, time travel, MIB vs Jacob facts...all Damon and Carlton.

        Loading editor
    • Tejota30 wrote:
      Mholclajtner wrote:
      Nope. Problem was in J.J. Abrams original end to the prequel. Both Lindeloff and Cuse claimed that they've kept that original end, when it was just end to prequel, instead make their own ending which was more logical thing to do because story overgrow that prequel years ago. They've should drop J.J. Abrams ideas and think of something new, instead ruining the show.
      The only thing that was said to be known about the ending of Lost was that it ended with Jack's eye closing in the forest where he started according to Fox himself.  Not gonna search out the article cause this is a Breaking Bad page and Lostpedia can answer all this.  It's also been reported that the Jack character was suppose to die in the pilot originally at the end with Kate becoming the leader so there were obviously a lot of ideas flying around at the early parts of making the show...but and answers, explantions, time travel, MIB vs Jacob facts...all Damon and Carlton.

      No, there is lot more then that. Damon always praised about that ending and that series was always concepted around that pilot. First, they made it Lost as self contained with that pilot, because they didn't know there would be more. Pilot was like a movie. Then, they expanded it onto Season 1. Then, on season 2. They where always just expanded it around that same ending where everyone were dead and in purgatory and everything else they add to the story (hatch, others, time travels, man in black...) everything ended the same no matter where story go around.

        Loading editor
    • Hmmm that 75mil Katzenberg was offering is close to Walt's stack size.....

      The producers themselves would have to break bad to bring this back...

        Loading editor
    • yeah the money

      It would figure that Jack and Lydia had amassed mucho dinero.

      When Todd and Jack and Kenny drove away from the diner with the Methlamine tank trailer, it appeared to be about 2/3 full. If Walt was correct stating that they were running low, they musta made a lot of crystal blue.

      Following the money would be a good starting point to continue the story, Jesse has none, Lydia has some time to make arrangments for hers.

        Loading editor
    • Max ba wrote:
      Hmmm that 75mil Katzenberg was offering is close to Walt's stack size.....

      The producers themselves would have to break bad to bring this back...

      That $75M looks like a big number (what, 6 barrels of cash?), but it's chump chnage to Hollywood.  Katzenberg just this year plowed $250M into that stinker "Rise of the Guardians" (Never heard of it?  Guess why it lost so much money) so gettig a guaranteed hit for just $75M is an easy call.

        Loading editor
    • 180.76.6.143
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki