Methamphetamine or meth (C10H15N) is a psychostimulant of the phenethylamine and amphetamine class of psychoactive drugs. The molecular formula indicates that each molecule contains 10 carbon atoms, 15 hydrogen atoms and one nitrogen atom.
- Jesse: "This is glass grade. I mean, you got...Jesus, you got crystals in here 2 inches, 3 inches long. This is pure glass. You're a damn artist! This is art, Mr. White!"
- Walter: "Actually it's just basic chemistry, but thank you, Jesse. I'm glad it's acceptable."
- Jesse: "Acceptable? You're the goddamn Iron Chef! Every jibbhead from here to Timbuktu is going to want a taste!"
- ―Jesse commenting on the meth Walter cooked[src]
Methamphetamine is chiral, and thus occurs in two enantiomers [N-antiomer] (non-superimposable mirror images of each other): dextrorotary and levorotary. D-methamphetamine is a stronger psychostimulant, but l-methamphetamine has a longer half-life and is CNS-active with weaker (approx. one-tenth) effects on striatal dopamine and shorter psychodynamic effects. At high doses, both enantiomers of methamphetamine can induce stereotypy and psychosis, but levomethamphetamine is less desired by drug abusers because of its weaker pharmacodynamic profile.
Methamphetamine has a molecular weight of 149.233 g/mol, generally approximated at 149.24 g/mol. It has a melting point of 175 °C and a boiling point of 215 °C. Methamphetamine has a density of 0.9131 g/cm3 and a refraxive index of 1.5083. The IUPAC name of methamphetamine is 25-n-methyl-l-phenyl-propan-2-amine. The CAS number is 537-46-2. The Beilstein number is 2207147. The PubChem Number is CID 1206. The ATC code is N06BA03.
PharmacologyA member of the family of phenethylamines, methamphetamine is chiral, with two isomers, levorotatory and dextrorotatory. The levorotatory form, called levomethamphetamine, is an over-the-counter drug used in inhalers for nasal decongestion. Methamphetamine is a potent central nervous system stimulant that affects neurochemical mechanisms responsible for regulating heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, appetite, attention, mood and emotional responses associated with alertness or alarming conditions.
The acute physical effects of the drug closely resemble the physiological and psychological effects of an epinephrine-provoked fight-or-flight response, including increased heart rate and blood pressure, vasoconstriction (constriction of the arterial walls), bronchodilation, and hyperglycemia (increased blood sugar). Users experience an increase in focus, increased mental alertness, and the elimination of fatigue, as well as a decrease in appetite. It is known to produce central effects similar to the other stimulants, but at smaller doses, with fewer peripheral effects. Methamphetamine's fat solubility also allows it to enter the brain faster than other stimulants, where it is more stable against degradation by monoamine oxidase (MAO).
There are meth products and forms of meth featured in the show.
- Blue Sky / Big Blue / Blue Magic — the signature formulation of Walt's, is 99.1% pure and light blue in color
- Chili Powder — the signature formulation sold by Captain Cook and cooked by Emilio Koyama, containing chili powder
- Glass — slang for methamphetamine, typically used to refer to the white meth created by the pseudoephedrine method.